With your ad group set up, you can begin targeting the audience you want to reach.
Twitter offers targeting options to reach both niche and broad audiences. As you build out your campaign, keep a few targeting best practices in mind:
- Cover the basics. Select the appropriate location, language, and optional device targeting options before selecting additional targeting criteria. Please note that if geography is left blank, Ads Manager will default to global targeting.
- Select one audience targeting type for each campaign or ad group. Choose from follower, keyword, behavior, interest, or tailored audiences targeting to get meaningful insights into your campaign.
- Experiment. Test different targeting approaches to understand which audiences are the best fit and which messages resonate with different groups. You may be surprised by what’s most effective!
1. Your Audiences
Rather than defining targeting from scratch for each campaign or ad group, you can save time by building out this targeting initially and re-using it in your future campaigns.
You can also select “Tailored Audiences” to further refine your targeting. You can choose from three types of tailored audiences including:
- Lists. Use lists to target specific users, whether you want to reach your existing customers by uploading a list of their email addresses or use Twitter usernames (@username) to target relevant influencers. When considering using lists, please refer to https://gdpr.twitter.com/ to ensure appropriate and approved usage related to Twitter’s GDPR policies.
- Web. Target people that have recently visited your website. You can collect this data using Twitter’s website tag (available through Twitter Ads), or you can use Twitter’s Official Partner Program.
- Mobile apps. Reach groups of people who have taken a specific action in your app, such as “install” or “sign up.” You can collect data on who uses your mobile app with conversion tracking.
2. Demographics Select a combination of age and gender.
3. Locations, languages, and devices
Select where your ads will run, choose your language, or select additional targeting based on device type or operating system of mobile carrier.
4. Additional audience features
Targeting types include: keywords, events, interests, behaviors, follower look-alikes, and TV conversions (additional details follow).
5. Brand Details
For In-Stream Video Ads, select up to two broad categories. These categories are used by publishers to ensure they are showing ads against video content of greatest interest to their audience.